Is Allergic Asthma Curable?
Allergic asthma is not completely curable. It is possible to eliminate the triggers of allergic asthma to avoid sudden attacks. Our staff has collected info about this type of asthma and some recommendations on how to prevent attacks.
What is allergic asthma?
If the cause of an asthma attack is the body’s reaction to an allergen (an allergy-causing substance), then such a disease is known as allergic asthma.
Risk factors are:
- a frequent presence in dusty and smoky rooms;
- a tendency to allergies;
- smoking mother during and after pregnancy.
Typical allergens are:
- house dust;
- plant pollen;
- food products;
- animals (cats, dogs, etc.);
- industrial dust;
- various fungi, bacteria, and parasites.
Often, allergic asthma is seasonal in nature, which is associated with the flowering period of allergen plants. Sharp smells, nervous emotional overloads, smoking, colds, and exposure to polluted air can also trigger an asthma attack.
The entrepreneurial period may be accompanied by manifestations of allergic rhinitis, autonomic dystonia, urticaria, and coughing. Attacks of suffocation often develop at night or in the morning.
There are three main forms of bronchial asthma:
- Allergic. This disease is caused by a specific allergen or group of allergens, which may include food, dust, animal hair, pollen.
- Non-allergic. Caused by non-allergic factors. This form can occur on the background of chronic respiratory infections, hormonal changes, taking certain medications, such as aspirin.
- Mixed. This form of bronchial asthma combines the symptoms of the two previous forms.
- Be in the fresh air more frequent;
- Quit smoking cold turkey;
- Use of hypoallergenic cosmetics, household cleaning products, bedding, food;
- Replace pillows and blankets with synthetic ones;
- Change bed clothing weekly;
- Air the rooms more often, do wet cleaning;
- Do breathing exercises;
- SPA treatment;
- Exclude products with high allergenic properties: citrus, strawberries, nuts, peppers, mustard, chocolate, eggs, etc.;
- Drink alkaline sodium mineral water, such as Borjomi;
- Take medications as recommended by your doctor.
Bronchial asthma is a chronic disease that cannot be completely cured today. However, due to well-chosen therapy, a combination of various treatment methods, long and stable remission can be achieved. In such a way, the patient’s quality of life can be improved. An integrated approach requires self-discipline and patience. The therapy lasts for long periods.
It is important to visit the doctor constantly. He will assess the condition in dynamics. Depending on the disease severity, the dose of drugs should be adjusted.
Drug therapy is carried out using drugs of two groups:
- Symptomatic. These drugs restore bronchial capacity and relieve bronchospasm. They are used sporadically, if necessary.
- Basic. Drugs of this group are aimed at reducing the inflammatory process in the bronchi and require a long regular intake.
In the presence of bronchial asthma, the doctor should prescribe not symptomatic drugs. They attract patients with their effectiveness, but the relief in their use is temporary. Basic therapy acts on the cause of symptoms’ onset and turns off the mechanisms of their reappearance. The effect of basic drugs’ use occurs within 2-3 weeks of regular intake.
Today, inhaled glucocorticoids are recognized as the most effective and safe. They are well tolerated by both children and adults, have a minimum of side effects, unlike tablets and injectable forms. The most important aspect is that they help reduce the initial level of the bronchial tree reactivity. As a result, they contribute to the reduction of an inadequate reaction of the bronchi to various irritating triggers. The regular use of such drugs can alleviate the degree of the disease course and reduce the intake of symptomatic drugs to a minimum.
In addition to medications, non-drug methods of asthma treatment are also used, which include:
- breathing exercises and devices;
- physical training;
It is important for anyone with asthma to know about the main methods of treatment and prevention of seizures, to have a good breathing technique, and to adhere to a hypoallergenic diet.